The golf swing can be very forceful on the back, often missed-hit shots or out of sequence golf swings can lead to injury. One way to prevent injury is to improve core strength and hip flexibility. This exercise can help strengthen core strength and help improve hip flexibility.
In the golf swing, the spine must stabilize as other parts of the body move. So it is important to strengthen core muscles. If core muscles surrounding the spine are weak, then those muscles can’t contract to create resistance to allow the arms to swing freely through the ball.
It is important to strengthen core muscles, not only to create power in the golf swing, but to protect the spine from the force of the golf swing.
This series of classical Pilates moves, collectively known as the Series of Five or ‘Ab 5’, is essential for golfers who want to improve core strength and stability.
The first of of the Series of Five is the Single Leg Pull. This will strengthen your lower back and core muscles to protect you from injury.
In these exercises, you will be stabilizing your spine and core muscles as your arms and legs move in different directions, just like you have to do in the golf swing
- Lie on your back and hug both knees into your chest.
- Extend your right leg long as you place your left hand on the outside of your right knee and your right hand on the outside of your right calf or ankle.
- Curl your head and shoulders off the mat, tucking your chin into your chest.
- Extend your elbows wide as you inhale then exhale and switch legs.
- Pull your knee into the midline as you alternate hugging one knee in and lengthening the opposite leg.
- Move with control as you pull your abdominal muscles towards the mat.
- Finish by hugging both knees in and resting head and shoulders on mat.
- Do 8 to 10 repetitions on each leg.
A new way to practice: Cardiogolf video series includes drills and exercises to help golfers of all levels improve their swing technique and get some exercise at the same time. Click here to see a New Way to Practice.
Follow my blog at http://www.kpjgolf.com
Follow my Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/Cardiogolf/
Like my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Cardiogolf/
For more information visit http://cardiogolf.com